Carnet Usage: Entering a Foreign Country

Departing the US | Entering a Country | Departing a Country | Re-Entering the US
Transiting a Country | Upon Return | Know Before You Go | Glossary


  1. Use a white importation voucher. Complete Section D & E. Indicate only those item numbers that are entering the country in Section F(a). Specify in F(b) the intended use of the Carnet, e.g., participation in an exhibition or sales visit.
  2. Sign and date the voucher.
  3. Present the Carnet to customs at the time of entry.
  4. Foreign customs must indicate only those items that are entering in Section (1) of the counterfoil.
  5. Any customs authority has the right to restrict any shipment to less than one year.  Be sure to comply with the “Final Date for Re-exportation/production to the Customs of goods” in Section 2 of the counterfoil. If the Carnet is not restricted, the final date for reexportation becomes 12:00 midnight of the expiration date (c) printed on the green cover.
  6. The customs inspector will then validate both the counterfoil and voucher and then detach the voucher.

Staff Contact:   Dale Ogasawara

Director, Carnet Claims and Trade Services
Tel: 212.703.5071

Dale Ogasawara has been with USCIB for over twenty years and has extensive knowledge of the ATA Carnet as well as both foreign and U.S. Customs claims.

Related Content