Register and Apply


Appointed by the U.S. Treasury Department and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in 1969, U.S. Council for International Business (USCIB) is the national guaranteeing and issuing organization of ATA Carnets in the United States. USCIB has appointed two independent Carnet Service Providers to issue ATA and TECRO/AIT Carnets. Please click on a logo below to simply Register and Apply from one of our service providers.

Processing Fees

Fee Types


General List Value Range

$1 - $9,999$255
$10,000 - $49,999$300
$50,000 - $149,999$365
$150,000 - $399,999$425
$400,000 - $999,999$480
Over $1,000,000$545

Continuation Sheets (GL)

$12 per additional page

Additional Sets

$25 per set
Post Issue of Original Carnet$80, minimum

Replacement Carnet

Replacement - Application$275
Replacement - Activation$175

Expedited Options: Expedited and same-day delivery may be available. Check with your issuing office for costs and availability. Additional charges may apply.

Delivery Options: Check with your issuing office for availability. Courier charges apply.

Security Deposits

All Carnets require a security deposit equal to 40% of the value of the General List. For India, the security deposit will be equal to 55% of the value of the General List.

Road vehicles covered by a Carnet require 100% security for corporations or 150% if the Holder is an individual, and all vehicles visiting China require a minimum of 100% security deposit.


Certified checks and money orders are made payable to your Carnet issuing Service Provider, boomerang carnets or Roanoke Trade (minimum $100).


Surety bonds may be obtained through our Service providers who are carnet bond specialists or from any of the 200 companies authorized by the U.S. Treasury Department, admitted in New York State, and have an A.M. Best rating of A- or better. Bond premiums are typically 1% of the bond amount (a minimum premium may apply).


In lieu of a cash deposit or bond, federal government agencies may remit a Refundable Claim Deposit (RCD) of $250 per Carnet. Agencies must also complete the Application for Waiver of Security.  Effective January 1, 2010, non-Federal Government Agencies are required to post a standard security deposit in the form of cash or a surety bond as explained above.


As of January 1, 2010 Written Agreement in lieu of a cash or a bond and is only available to select members. For further details please contact your service provider.

Cash deposits and RCDs are returned in full. Surety bonds are terminated once the original Carnets have been returned for cancellation and no claims are anticipated by Carnet HQ. While Carnets are good for up to one year, if a claim arises, it may be necessary to hold the security deposit until the claim is resolved.

Power of Attorney

If a customs broker, freight forwarder or agent is preparing the application on behalf of a Carnet holder, a Power of Attorney must accompany this application.  Please contact your service provider for a Power of Attorney form.

How to Use a Carnet

Review our overview on how to use a Carnet at every step of your trip.

USCIB Policy


It is highly recommended that identifying photographs be appended to the General List for Carnets entering European Union, especially Italy and the United Kingdom. It is also recommended that identifying photographs be appended to the General List for all types of Jewelry entries into Israel.

Holders should have blue transit certificates in their Carnet when bringing jewelry samples and/or loose precious stones to France and Switzerland for exhibitions or fairs.

Motor Vehicles

Motor vehicles may travel on ATA Carnets only if the vehicles are commercial samples, professional equipment (e.g. for races) or to be displayed at an exhibition or fair. Special security deposit rules apply. Vehicles crossing the US Canada border as means of transportation are exempt from ATA Carnet requirements.

Personal use road vehicles (autos, motorcycles, trailers, ATVs, RVs, caravans) for touring, vacation and non-business travel need to obtain a CPD (Carnet de Passages en Douanes). To obtain a CPD, contact Monika Jadeszko at +1 847.852.3100 or Info@CPDCarnet.comboomerang carnets for assistance. Boomerang carnets is authorized by the FIA to issue CPDs to American and Canadian residents for touring purposes.


Effective April 1, 2017 all ATA Carnet Preparers that have a horse listed on their general list will be required to complete and submit an ATA Carnet Horse Questionnaire (click to download form) along with any related supporting documentation before the ATA Carnet can be issued. USCIB recommends Preparers use the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) database as a tool to assist validation of the value of the horses in addition to the questionnaire. USCIB no longer requires that the minimum value of horse listed on the general list of the ATA Carnet be $10,000. The actual value of the horse must be listed on the general list of the Carnet.

Government Agency Requirements

Export/Import Requirements

Obtaining a Carnet does not release your obligation to comply with U.S. Government export controls or foreign country import controls.  Some articles may require an export license for reasons of national security and foreign policy.  An export license allows U.S. companies to export commodities that are controlled by U.S. regulations.  Check with foreign customs in advance for their restriction or requirements on goods entering their country.

Electronic Export Information Filing

Effective May 15, 2015 and as a result of changes to the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR), ATA Carnet is exempt from filng. These changes cover both U.S. and foreign ATA Carnets, as well as those coming from and going to Chinese Taipei (TECRO/AIT). For a complete guide to the new FTR export requirements click here.

10+2 Importer Security Filing

ATA Carnets are not exempt from importer security filing (ISF, otherwise known as 10+2). However, ATA Carnet shipments ARE exempt from posting the bond required of other shipments entering or re-entering the U.S. via vessel. Except for the provision of the six digit HTSUS codes, the information needed to complete the ISF can be found on the Carnet or available from the broker clearing the entry.

Additional Considerations

Air Couriers

While DHL accepts Carnet shipments, FedEx and UPS (small package divisions) generally do not.

Commercial Value

Using the insured value of goods on your General List will usually result in a “reasonable commercial value”.

Validating a Carnet in the U.S.

Please refer to our list of U.S. Airports for Validating a Carnet and the CBP Ports page to see where you can validate a Carnet in the U.S.

To avoid a claim, have the counterfoils and vouchers validated upon entry and exit into a foreign country.  Make doubly sure that the yellow Re-importation Counterfoil is stamped by US customs.  This is your last line of defense to settle a claim.

For Carnets with a valid claim, Holders are subject to duties and taxes and fees levied by a foreign customs authority. Holders will also be charged a USCIB Claims Handling Fee.

Carnet Shipments Held-Up at Customs

During regular business hours, contact USCIB, Carnet HQ, immediately for assistance; tel: 800-538-8937, fax: (212) 944-0012, email:

Carnet Green Cover

Upon initial departure, the Holder or authorized representative must sign the green cover. U.S. Customs must validate the green cover and a yellow exportation counterfoil to activate the Carnet for its first use.  Foreign customs may deny entry of goods under a Carnet if neither the green cover nor the exportation counterfoil is properly validated.

Restricted Carnets

A foreign customs authority has the right to restrict the duration of a Carnet shipment and require that the goods leave prior to the expiration date of the Carnet.  If a customs authority limits your stay, this will be noted on the importation counterfoil (Item 2—Final Date of Re-Exportation) at the time of entry. Some countries will only accept importation under Carnet for 6 months, without making a notation.

Substituting Goods or Goods for Repair

Goods may not be substituted or replaced once they are accepted and printed on the carnet General List.  Carnets do not cover goods intended for processing or repairs.


Call 1.800.538.8937


Related Content