Carnet Usage: To Transit a Country (If Applicable)

Departing the US | Entering a Country | Departing a Country | Re-Entering the US
Transiting a Country | Upon Return | Know Before You Go | Glossary


At the Time of Entry

  1. Use two blue (transit) use two blue transit counterfoil and voucher. Indicate in Section F(a) of the voucher the customs port (of the country of transit) from which the goods will exit.
  2. Indicate only those item numbers that are transiting in the second half of Section F(a).
  3. Sign and date the voucher.
  4. Present the Carnet to customs at the port of entry.
  5. Foreign customs will indicate the item numbers in “Clearance for Transit, 1,” on the counterfoil and indicate the port to which the goods are being dispatched.  The customs inspector will then assign the final date that the goods must exit that port in No. 2 of the counterfoil. It is vital to adhere to the final date for re-exportation mandated by Foreign Customs.
  6. The customs inspector will complete 4-6 sign and stamp No. 7 of both transit counterfoils and Section H of the first voucher and then detach that voucher.

At the Time of Departure

  1. Present the Carnet to customs at the port of discharge.
  2. The customs inspector at the port of discharge will complete the Certificate of Discharge on the second counterfoil and Section H of the second voucher and then detach the second voucher.
  3. When the transit is complete, Signature Sections 6 and 7 of the second counterfoil will have been validated and both vouchers will have been detached.

Staff Contact:   Dale Ogasawara

Director, Carnet Claims and Trade Services
Tel: 212.703.5071

Dale Ogasawara has been with USCIB for over twenty years and has extensive knowledge of the ATA Carnet as well as both foreign and U.S. Customs claims.

Related Content